Do I qualify for a Habitat for Humanity home?
- Able to pay an affordable mortgage. Habitat Homeowners purchase their home. We secure affordable financing and create a payment plan that ensures homeowners do not spend more than 30% of their monthly income on housing costs.
- In need of better housing. Applicants accepted into the Homeownership Program struggle with housing that is inadequate. Inadequate housing is often one or more of the following: unsafe, unaffordable, unhealthy, or inaccessible.
- Willing to partner with us. Each adult completes 200 hours of sweat equity in lieu of a traditional down payment.
Note: You will not be eligible for a home if you currently own a home, have judgements against you, have been in bankruptcy or foreclosure in the past 3 years, or are a registered sex offender
We currently are NOT accepting applications, but encourage you to take the following steps to ready yourself for when our next application period opens, which we anticipate will be Spring of 2019.
- View this SAMPLE APPLICATION http://fairfieldhabitat.org/application/ so that you will be familiar with the information we need from you.
- Print and review your free credit report at freescoreonline.com or https://www.creditkarma.com/
- Begin addressing judgements and excess debt as soon as possible.
If you are interested in learning more about qualifying for a Habitat for Humanity home in Fairfield, Iowa or need further advice reducing your debt, please call our local Habitat ReStore at 641.209.9450 and leave a message including your contact information (phone and/or email) for the Homeowner Selection Committee.